Carbon monoxide is a silent, odorless killer, but even during winter heating season, it's possible to stay safe.
This dangerous gas is produced when fuels burn incompletely.
This can happen in furnaces, both gas- and wood-burning fireplaces, space heaters and vehicles that burn fossil fuel. It’s also possible in water heaters, gas clothes dryers and stoves, as well as other equipment, including grills, generators and power tools.
The Nebraska Regional Poison Center offers some tips on staying safe, recognizing carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning and treating a person who has been poisoned with the gas:
More than 400 Americans die each year from CO poisoning, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. About 50,000 people end up in U.S. emergency rooms because of the gas. Death rates are highest in those aged 65 and older.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has more on carbon monoxide safety.
SOURCE: Nebraska Regional Poison Center, news release, Jan. 25, 2023